Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Puttin' in the miles

Oh man, am I tired. My volume is incredibly high right now. I’m supposed to do a 36 hour week this week… that means 6 hours a day for six days… I’ve already taken my rest day. I rode alone today and logged in 126 miles. Sometime around hour 5.5 I started thinking about how different my daily life is from your average Joe, Dick, or Jane. While I’m struggling to pin my HR at 145 BPM for 6 hours, the majority of the population probably won’t even touch this during the day. I don’t really think most people understand how much training, hard work and dedication goes into this sport… especially when I get either honked at or buzzed by about 10 cars a day. I think I started losing my mind a little too towards the end when I caught myself pointing out glass in the shoulder even though I wasn’t riding with anyone. Well, I’ve only got four more days of base, then I start my rest week, then I get to begin transition.

I’m already starting to think about my first race coming up. I’m scheduled to do Vuelta Sonora which is at the end of February/beginning of March down in Mexico. This race should be pretty sweet… I think its 6 or 7 days long. It’ll be a good way to kick the season off and to bring on some form. I can’t wait to start racing again!

Tonight, I’d love to be able to sit on the couch and watch mindless television all night, but I just sold my MTB so I gotta make sure that it’s all dialed, and then pack it up.

Time to motivate and try to be productive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Us amateur cyclists feel awful for you. I mean here we are working or going to school full time, trying to fit a couple hours in here or there, but man. I just don't know what I'd do if I HAD to ride my bike everyday. Anyway, if you ever need a shoulder to cry on, just call up someone who enjoys every minute they GET to ride their bikes, I'm sure they'll feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

Great Job Josh,
I know what you mean. Keep up the good work, it'll pay off. I will miss seeing you at the nationals.

J. Rinehart

Josh said...

I've been an amatuer for the last eleven years that I've been racing and have had to go to school and work the entire time that I was trying to make it as a bike racer. I know what it's like to have to juggle multiple lives. Now, my only priority is bike racing and I'm focusing 100% of my time and energy into that. And I will be honest, it is hard. Hard, in that it is exhausting. But so far (I've only been officially a pro for about 3 weeks) I've enjoyed every minute of it. Keep trying to make it, it is definitely possible to do while in school or working, you just have to manage your time. Good luck friend.