Saturday, August 13, 2005

Racing as usual

I set my alarm early for today at 6:30 because I was going to go race the ACA state championship MTB race at Keystone. Keystone's only about 1.5 hours away from Boulder, so I decided to skip preriding and just chill at home and sleep in my own bed on friday. When I woke up it was raining and dreary, and I was considering bagging it and just staying down here like a weak little pussy. Well, I took my chances and it was beautiful up there. On my way I stopped for some coffee that later led to a near disaster in my pants and some evasive manuevers in my car to make a sudden stop at the nearest shitter. Nothing like getting jacked on coffee and losing a few pounds from it to make you feel like racing. I was able to to get a pretty good warm up in, and was checking out the competition. Mainly a bunch of ACA roadies and the Austrailian junior and U23 national team. The race started out well for me. I dropped everyone right away and built up to a 2 minute lead on 2nd place. I held onto my lead for almost the entire race, but ended up losing a water bottle and was not able to eat anything which lead to me bonking. Jonathon Baker (fast roadie guy thats been tough to beat all year in all disciplines) caught me at the top of the climb on the last lab which resulted the race coming down to a dual downhill race to the finish. He got ahead of me in the singletrack and I was never able to pass him. I ended up coming in second. After the race I headed straight to my favorite Burrito joint in Boulder, Illegal Pete's. If you don't know this already, Burritos are the shit!! They are the best food for recovery out there... Just ask Tommy D, he writes about them in every journal entry he lists. But sorry Tom, the Durango burritos that you speak so highly of are crap compared to what we have here in Boulder. Well that's all for tonight. I forgot to put the battery in my camera today, so no new pictures. But don't you worry, there will be many to come soon. Thanks for reading.

No comments: