Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Collegiate Racing Rulez!!!


That's me, then Matt Shriver (the current short track national champ), and some other FLC punk.

Last weekend was my first collegiate race of the season. I was reminded how much fun collegiate racing is. The trip started about 2 hours later than scheduled... pretty typical. We stopped at Qdoba, the best food from here to GJ on I-70, and damn that stuff works wonders. We rolled into GJ around 11:30 and stoped at the Mesa states coach's place where we were staying. I could not believe how many people we fit into his place. It was a 2-bedroom apartment, and we managed to fit 23 people in it. When everyone was in their bags, you couldn't even see the floor... we were packed in there like sardines... sleep was very minimal. However, that didn't seem to affect my racing this weekend. I crushed the short track... setting the entire pace and eventually riding every last man off my wheel.

The XC went pretty much the same way, I rode away from everyone very early in the race, and had about a one minute lead on 2nd place until I bent my front deraileur on a rock. I had to get off my bike numerous times to try to bend it back. I was eventually caught by Hagman, who I battled with until the very end were he outsprinted me to the final DH singletrack to the finish... he beat me by about five seconds. It was a little frustrating to feel like I had it in the bag at one point in the race, and to have mechanical issues take that away from me... but that's racing, and it happens to everyone. At least I know what I'm capable of. I was able to prove to myself and everyone else that I can win nationals again in October.

I won't be racing this coming weekend... instead, I'll be having a party at my place friday night, and I plan to do another epic ride in Nederland on Sunday. The next race for me will be the CU home race in a week and a half. That's about all that is exciting right now. Oh yeah, I ordered a new digital camera... so my site will get a little better once I start using that.

No comments: