Saturday, September 18, 2010

Yo amo la bicicleta

I want to start this post out by paying homage to the bicycle. The places I've seen, the things I've been able to do in my life, and the amazing friends (cyclists and noncyclists) have all in some way been influenced by my love for the bike.

Today i entered my first mountain bike race in Guatemala. This was not any old race, it was a once in a lifetime experience (well actually I think I need to come back). Yesterday I found out about it and it sounded like something I couldn't miss.

So today I met up with my new cycling amigos at 7:30 am to catch a chicken bus to the finish of the race. The race finished in Momotenango and started in another town 40 km away. From Momotenango me and about 20 other riders squeezed into the back of a truck for the 40 km drive to the start. On the drive to the start was able to see some incredible scenery and see the Guatemalan countryside. This country is soooo incredibly beautiful.

After arriving at the start I looked around at all the other racers and was amazed by how many there were, how enthusiastic they were, and the bikes they were racing on!!!! My friend Miguel called these bikes "chicken bikes". They were about 10-20 years old, flat pedals and by most peoples standards, not race bikes. The start of the race was muy emocional! I started kinda far back which probably wasn't the best idea because the start was fast, downhill, and I had to maneuver my way around the chicken bikes... Many of which were very squirely.

This course had some serious climbing... And the racers in Guatemala are STRONG climbers. Living here I think you have no choice.

I wish I had pictures to share of the race... It was LOCO! We started with a long road climb that quickly shredded the field. There were a couple guys off the front and I was in a chase group with Miguel and Edwin. We were working together as much as we could, but mainly they were putting the hurt on me on the steep climbs. I popped off of those guys, and was caught by Fedrico "Rico". We rode together for a while and were attacking each other more than working together (it's a mtb race). My seat came loose and I had to stop so I lost Rico. I ended up fighting this problem for the rest of the race. I was sooo impressed with the level of these riders.

As I entered the town of momotenango, the hundreds of spectators lining the course made me feel like I was on the alpe duez in the tour. My friend Miguel ended up winning the race. Bueno trabajo! During the awards ceremony I was called up for my prize, una fumbra (a rug), and asked where I was from and how I liked the course. I said in nearly perfect Spanish to a crowd of several hundred guatemalans that the course was beautiful and that the cyclists from Guatemala are very very very strong!

I took about a hundred pictures today and some video, I wish I could put it all up. Here are some pics:
















































2 comments:

MiguelValle said...

que bueno que te gusto ir a la competencia! espero que la de la otra semana tambien te guste :-D

kmm said...

Awesome!!! That sounds so incredible man... I'm sincerely jealous.

Usted está en una increíble viaje.!!

km