Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Coffee and exercise addictions

Someone I know once told me that “coffee is the Devil”. I didn’t listen to him. I’m back on the coffee program… it’s a love-hate relationship. The sweet nectar of the gods, black gold, or bean juice, coffee has been successfully fueling my days for the past couple week. Today, however, I think I may have ODed. I woke up… barely, today was a tough one to get out of bed, but I had a presentation that was worth 50% of my grade to give at 8:00 am. I decided to go with the Mate to start the day off instead of coffee with plans of taking a nap later in the day. But as usual, as the day went on, the possibility of napping became less and less of a reality.

I got back from school pretty early and the snow was dumping. The Grinch had just gotten up and the aroma of his French press was pungent. I couldn’t resist, I gave into my addiction, and I fired up the grinder on my way to making a home brewed mocha (or cafe florintine). Tis the season for hot drinks, and cuddling with your girl by a fireplace. Unfortunately, I don't have a fireplace or a girl, but I do have hot chocolate. I bought some hot chocolate the other day, so why not mix it with my coffee. It was delicious, but I think it was a little overkill. I tried to hit the books after that, and my focus was all over the place… I just kept getting up to eat another bowl of cereal or write another e-mail, or clean something… this must be what it feels like to be on crack. I couldn’t handle the energy any longer, so I executed plan B, exercise.

Exercise was the key maneuver. It’s what I really needed to do today. I went running in the snow, probably one of my favorite things to do. It was pretty cold, probably around 8 degrees, but I didn’t get too cold; running keeps you warm. I did a much longer route than I had planned, but that’s the best way to do it… no plan. I ran over settlers park and up over Mount Senitas. It’s hard to explain the feelings and emotions experienced while snow running in the mountains by yourself while setting the trail on fresh snow. It’s so incredibly peaceful too. This is the only way to train when you can’t ride outside… trainers are a waste of time.

I totally forgot about an important review that I was supposed to go to at 5:00. I still tried to make it hoping that I could catch the last hour of it, but it only lasted an hour. Lucky for me, it was actually really fun riding over to campus tonight. Riding the bike in the snow is a blast… I’m outa control the whole time.

Now I’m back at the coffee shop trying to study more… blogging is a great way to take a break from HW.

OK time to get back to work.

Peace.

No comments: